Tarot Card Description & Meanings
The Devil: This card shows a devil sitting atop a perch, with a male and female chained to him. The chains on the human are quite loose, so they can escape if they want, they just need to act.
This card represents enslavement, subordination and self-punishment. It warns us not to allow ourself to let go of our personal power and let someone else over-rule us.
This card warns about a situation (or person) we are too wrapped in, that is not healthy for us.
You need to become aware of all the ways in which you are your own worst enemy. Look at all those self-destructive tendencies that you have inside you. If things aren't going well for you ask yourself if there is some way in which you are sabotaging yourself. It is always tempting to blame others for our difficulties, but the truth is that we can only truly progress when we take full responsibility for our own lives.
Meaning - upright
What this upright card means
Upright, this card has the following meanings:
- we must watch how we spend our money, spend it wisely.
- stuck in an unhappy situation which needs to change.
- reflect on anything anyone offers you to work out if will make you indebted or not.
- too much force used in a situation that needs more tact and diplomacy.
- let go of dated ideas and think of new and better ways.
- high attachment to materialism and not enough focus on spirituality.
Meaning - reversed
What this reverse card means
Reversed, this card has the following meanings:
- be careful and try to not to incur others animosity.
- overcoming anxieties and fears that were holding you back.
- release of an untenable situation that was enslaving us.
- Key Meaning: Enslavement to others.
- Mythology: No Meaning.
- Astrology: Mars, Capricorn: energy, sexuality and hidden meanings.
- Numerology: 6: magic and mystery, lucky for getting money.
- More Major Arcana Cards -
The High Priestess
Wheel of Fortune
The Hanged Man