The Hierophant Tarot Card Meanings, Interpretation & Description. Learn more about The Hierophant - Major Arcana card. Read The Hierophant meaning and description including upright and reverse tarot interpretation.
The Hierophant Tarot Card Meanings
The Hierophant: This card is also known as the Pope. The imagery on this card has strong Catholic symbolism, from the clothes the man is wearing to the items he is carrying, as well as the two priests that are viewable at the bottom of the card.
The Hierophant means someone who reveals that which is secretive. It represents wisdom, spiritual power and the spiritual quest as well as all things philosophical.
There is a lot of truth in the saying: "If you can't beat them join them." You need to start looking at ways in which you can fit into situations rather than fighting against them. Be aware when it is time for you to compromise what you believe in exchange for peace. It is important to find a way to express your own unique voice but remember also to see the benefits of the Hierophant's approach. You can then take the best of both worlds.
Meaning - upright
What this upright card means
Upright, this card has the following meanings:
- a teacher or someone who has some lesson to show you.
- a place of learning, a scholastic institute.
- a time to be more conventional in approach.
- try not to rock the boat or cause a rucus.
- work and plan with others to achieve goals.
Meaning - reversed
What this reverse card means
Reversed, this card has the following meanings:
- challenging authority.
- making decisions despite popular opinion not to.
- hasty decisions to gain financial success.
- finding a path off the beaten track - you can educated yourself without going the mainstream way.
- Key Meaning: Inner wisdom and spirituality.
- Mythology: No Meaning.
- Astrology: Jupiter and Pisces: dreams, imagination, sensitivity.
- Numerology: 5, Mercury: quick thought, wit, intelligence, versatility and changeability.
- More Major Arcana Cards -
The High Priestess
Wheel of Fortune
The Hanged Man