Tarot Card Description & Meanings
The Hanged Man: This card shows a man who has been hanged upside-down, who probably does not seem to mind that he's there.
This card represents the need to adapt to changes so that we can find inner space. This is also about letting go of pre-defined ideas to get a new perspective. A new outlook will soon be apparent, either through our own choice or by the circumstances around us.
Enjoy the view and learn from it.
In order to make changes in your situation you need to step back and try a different approach. Look again and see if you can find a more imaginative way of doing things. You may find that the key to unlocking your predicament is to work out what it is you need to give up or what sacrifices you could make at this time. The Hanged Man can often turn up when we are trying and trying hard to achieve something which just isn't coming our way. At these times he comes and taps us on the shoulder, saying: "You're going about this the wrong way. Your trying is the problem, so give it up and take a different approach!"
Meaning - upright
What this upright card means
Upright, this card has the following meanings:
- something needs to be sacrificed so that we can move forward and develop.
- a new outlook in life (or a given situation).
- spiritual thoughts and reflections increase.
- expansion of consciousness.
- focus on the important things that give you meaning.
Meaning - reversed
What this reverse card means
Reversed, this card has the following meanings:
- there is a feeling of wanting to escape from a situation.
- lack of effort will prevent any moves forward.
- difficulties making a decision.
- preoccupation with the self and not enough thought on spirituality.
- stuck doing the same things and falling into a rut, not moving forward.
- Key Meaning: New perspectives.
- Mythology: No Meaning.
- Astrology: Neptune: inspiration and dreams with the conscious mind.
- Numerology: 3 sacrifice, suffering but also grace, charm and perfection.
- More Major Arcana Cards -
The High Priestess
Wheel of Fortune
The Hanged Man